Sunday, June 26, 2011

You Look Dumber With Your Mouth Open (commercial critique 5)

For my final commercial critique I would like to examine a campaign that I saw at the film awards last night. It consisted of two commercials for Otrivin Nasal Spray in Switzerland. The first spot showed a kindergarten class waiting for the teacher to hand out scissors. As she went around the room, she comes to a little girl staring blankly ahead with her mouth open. Instead of normal scissors, the teacher hands her a pair that have a rounded edge. The tagline, “You look dumber with your mouth open,” appears and then clips to a picture of the nasal spray with the tagline, “The pleasure of breathing.”
I thought the concept was incredibly clever and used an insight that isn’t usually associated with products in the category. Because of the unique position of the campaign, it was very effective at providing an incentive to buy the product and humor to help you remember it.
For production of this ad, it seems that it was just filmed on a built set with actors and props. For a simple idea like this, I thought the simple set design worked perfectly.
If I were to offer suggestions for improvement… actually I don’t have any. Obviously, the film jury didn’t either since it won a gold lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment