Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hello Future

Today everyone arrived at the festival a bit later than usual. That probably had a little something to do with the Microsoft Beach Party last night. I did however manage to catch the 11:30 Saatch & Saatchi New Director’s Showcase and it was like nothing I could have ever expected. There were lights, an electronic music performance, and futuristic digital narrations. The theme was “Hello Future.” Some of the work that was presented was really sharp, but some of it mainly aired on the strange side as opposed to brilliant. My favorite film showed a priest walking into a bedroom where a girl was pressed against the ceiling screaming as if she were possessed. It then clipped to the apartment above her where a woman was vacuuming; which made clear that the force of the vacuum was pulling the girl against the ceiling. The spot was for Dirt Devil, which I thought fit perfectly with the tone of the ad.
I attended my first workshop today, which was interesting, but would have been more relevant if I was actually a part of the global advertising business. I didn’t have any experiences to share with my table.
Our guest speaker was Amr Salama who blew me away with stories of how he began his directing career and how he played a serious role in the recent revolution in Egypt. He also made clear to me the vast importance of social media vehicles like Facebook in making messages (especially important, revolutionary ones) travel faster and accomplish more in a shorter period of time. He was truly inspirational and I admire him greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment