Friday, June 24, 2011

As real as if you'd experienced it yourself. (commercial critique 2)

This campaign for History Channel in Germany featured everyday looking people who were recounting stories from history as if they’d actually been there. One featured a woman speaking from the point of view of Jackie Kennedy on her husband’s death, another featured a man on the space landing, and finally a young boy spoke of seeing Hitler’s corpse after his suicide. After each of the dialogues in each commercial finished, the tagline “As Real as if You’d Experienced it Yourself.”
For my first point, I would just like to state that I really admire the campaign for addressing that watching shows about history can be fun. Education will truly be the savior of this world, and learning about history through watching this channel can be fun and interesting. I am a history channel nerd already, so that’s the message I took away from the campaign; however, it was very well done, and I believe that it could have affected other viewers in a similar way.
In it’s production, it was very simple. It was an actor who had memorized a script with a plain background behind him or her. The actors were actually what made the commercial so special, because they really captured the emotions that the different people in history would have felt. I felt myself on the verge of tears when the German woman was talking about holding the lifeless body of JFK in her arms and telling him “I love you, John.”
For improvement, I don’t have any meaningful corrections. I felt it was on point with the message it needed to promote and did so in a meaningful, engaging way.

No comments:

Post a Comment