Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Music Never Stops (commercial critique 4)

One commercial I saw in the viewing room actually ended up winning a few gold lions. It was for MTV Brazil and pictured a never-ending line of balloons that each had pictures drawn on them. A pin was rocketing through them and when they popped the effect was somewhat like a flipbook.  They played a very intense, upbeat song in the background and as the pin continued on its path, the tagline “The music never stops,” is displayed.
What was really interesting is that the pictures in the “flipbook,” weren’t merely random images, but told a story of the evolution of music. The story starts off simply with an egg and morphs into record contracts and finally, a cartoon Slash morphing into a cartoon Eminem. Very creative and cool.
For the production technique, (I’ll admit I couldn’t tell if it was real or animation just by watching) I found that they used a very “low tech yet inventive animation technique where a traveling spike pops hundreds of balloons along a track” (http://great-ads.blogspot.com/2011/05/mtvs-inventive-popping-promo-ad.html).
I thought it was a really great spot, but if I were to offer a suggestion, I might change the song. It was good. The beat fit perfectly, really. However, it was distracting to me that the song was in German and the ad was for MTV Brazil. That’s my only suggestion, but I really think the ad was close to perfect as it was.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment