Thursday, June 23, 2011

Middle of the Week

Today we spent most of the day in personal interviews that our (wonderful) professors set up for us. First was Jennifer Frommer from interscope records who actually made music marketing and promotions seem very appealing to me. I had never considered who matched brands with musical artists, but I was very lucky to have met someone who could give me a better understanding of it.
Next was David Simon who writes the shows the Wire and Treme on HBO. I will admit, some of his presentation was a bit over my head, but overall he came across as an intelligent thinker who understood how to match commercials with different television shows. He was interesting, but I think my father (age 63) would have been more on his level conversationally. I was afraid I’d ask a silly question.
Allison Adren gave the next presentation and shed some light onto the situation at Advertising Age. However, what I found most interesting was her discussion on becoming a successful woman in this industry. I dare say she sounded a bit more realistic about it than Martha Stewart did. She gave me hope of one day becoming a successful woman in the field.
Finally, I did manage to get into one of the planned seminars for one of my favorite agencies, Leo Burnett. They talked about sincerity and the language of advertising. Examples ranged from Gandhi to Fiat. All of their projects seem to keep very closely to the message their company tries to project – the importance of purpose and acts.

2 comments:

  1. Good, but be a little more careful in your note-taking. David Simon had nothing to do with The West Wing. That was Aaron Sorkin.

    Also, never be afraid to ask a question. There are no wrong questions.

    And try to understand what everyone is saying, regardless of their age. Age is something that we should pay less attention to -- just another thing that divides us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the part about West Wing. I guess I got confused during the panel.

    ReplyDelete